Lesson 6 - Objectives 6-7 (Wednesday)
B06-06 Layer shortcuts you can use to speed up your workflow
PC users, press CTRL for Command, ALT for Option in the commands below...
- Create a new layer - Command-Shift-N. To skip the dialog box while creating a new layer - Command-Option-Shift-N (CTRL-Shift-N and CTRL-ALT-Shift-N on PC)
- To fill a layer with the foreground color - press Option-Delete (ALT-Backspace on a PC)
- To fill a layer with the background color - press Command-Delete (CTRL-Delete on a PC)
- To change the opacity of a selected layer, first make sure you are in a non-brush tool such as the Move tool (V). Then you can press a number to change the opacity in 10% increments. 1=10% 2=20% 3=30%, etc. 0=100% 00=0% Pressing 2 numbers in quick succession will give you a specific percentage. Pressing 56 quickly will give you 56%. You can control the selected layer's fill the same way, but you need to hold the Shift key down while pressing a number.
- To change the selected layer, you can repeatedly press Option-[ or Option-]. Each time you press Option-[ you'll select the next layer down the in the stack. Each time you press Option-] you'll select the next layer up in the stack.
- If you want to actually move the selected layer it works just like changing the selected layer, only you use Command-[ or Command-].
- To merge a selected layer into the layer underneath, press Command-E
- To take a composite snapshot of all the visible layers as a separate layer, press Command-Option-Shift-E.
B06-07 Understanding color and color theory
You have an assigned reading - The Basics of Color Design in the lesson 6 module in Canvas. You will also find the following helpful to read.
There is also a section on color in the resources of this site. I have also created a Pinterest Board - Design - Color.
Canva.com also has a great section on color!
The gallery below has examples of several color harmony schemes. The images were found on Pinterest.com.